OSLO, Norway (AP) -- The Norwegian government has pledged an extra 109 million kroner ($18.7 million) this year to improve terror preparedness following the July 22, 2011, massacre when a rightwing extremist killed 77 people in a bomb attack and shooting rampage.
Prime Minister Jen Stoltenberg says the funds are in addition to 1.5 billion kroner ($260 million) pledged to the Justice and Emergency Department for new equipment, training of personnel and pre-emptive terror measures.
Stoltenberg told reporters Wednesday that the government would do "everything it can to ensure that Norway remains a safe country."
Last year, a comprehensive report exposed shortcomings in Norway's crisis preparedness and highlighted police blunders during the attacks when Anders Behring Breivik gunned down 69 people on Utoya island after exploding a bomb in central Oslo, killing eight.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Meet the newest liligers - mom's a liger and dad's a lion. (Photos)
The pope invited a teen with Down Syndrome up to his car for a spin.
Oreo's new flavor is getting a ton of buzz. So we tried it.
Sage Moonblood, Pilot Inspektor, Diva Thin Muffin. The list goes on.