AP National Writer
WARSAW, Poland (AP) -- A state-of-the-art Warsaw subway train has caught fire, forcing the evacuation of some 200 people and sending eight to the hospital.
Firefighter spokesman Capt. Karol Kierzkowski said smoke and fire appeared Sunday under the body of the Inspiro train as it was pulling into the Politechnika station on Warsaw's sole subway line. Metro employees put out the fire.
Made by Germany-based Siemens, the Inspiro is considered to be among Europe's most modern subway trains. It was introduced in Warsaw with much fanfare last month.
Subway spokesman, Krzysztof Malawko, said some 200 people were evacuated. Another eight were taken to the hospital after complaining of feeling sick from smoke.
All five of Warsaw's Inspiro trains were put out of service until the cause of the malfunction is found.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.