Comment
0
Tweet
0
Print
RSS Feeds

Russian agency criticizes US ruling in boy's death

Tuesday - 3/19/2013, 3:11pm  ET

Ector County, Texas District Attorney Bobby Bland announces at a news conference Monday, March 18, 2013 that the grand jury decided that no charges will be filed against the parents of adopted Russian 3-year-old Max Shatto. Shatto died Jan. 21 and his death was ruled accidental. He suffered self-inflicted internal injuries and was found unresponsive outside his home in Gardendale, Texas while playing with his brother. (AP Photo/Odessa American, Mark Sterkel)

BETSY BLANEY
Associated Press

Russian officials are again criticizing U.S. authorities after a grand jury declined to charge two Texas parents in the death of their 3-year-old adopted boy from Russia.

The Russian Foreign Ministry on Tuesday accused American authorities of continuing a "general line of leniency" in cases where Russian children have died. The statement came hours after Ector County District Attorney Bobby Bland said a grand jury declined to indict Alan and Laura Shatto.

The Shattos' 3-year-old son, Max, died Jan. 21 after his mother found him unresponsive outside their home in Gardendale, Texas. Bland said the boy's injuries were accidental.

Russian authorities also want access to the boy's half-brother, who was also adopted by the Shattos, and American documents in the case. Both requests have been denied so far.


Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.