NEW YORK (AP) - Fire officials say the blaze that engulfed part of a building in New York City's South Street Seaport was caused by faulty electrical wiring.
Fire marshals also were looking Sunday into whether there was any structural damage from Saturday's blaze in the tourist-friendly historic neighborhood.
The fire started under Pier 17 on the East River. It covered about 100 square feet. Big plumes of black smoke wafted over the Manhattan skyline.
Fire Department spokesman Jim Long said the blaze "could have been a disaster." The pier was teeming with hundreds of visitors. But no one was hurt, and firefighters doused the flames in less than two hours.
None of the shops and restaurants along the pier was damaged.
The pier was reopened to visitors Saturday evening.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Star-studded event raises millions for AIDS research. (Photos)
A fallen officer's daughter gets a swarm of support. (Photos)
Clothes have a starring role at the Cannes Film Festival. (Photos)
Cockroaches are so adaptive, their brains may reject some foods.