WASHINGTON - Students more interested in an originalist view of the Constitution than hitting a beer bong may want to check out this list.
Young America's Foundation has released a list of the country's top conservative colleges, in response to what it says are frequent queries from parents and students.
The colleges offer courses and work that emphasize principles like "smaller government, strong national defense, free enterprise and traditional values," the group says on its website.
"Furthermore, they avoid trends in academe by continuing to study Western Civilization instead of straying toward the study of Marxism, feminism, sexuality, postmodernism, and other distractions that do not give students a complete understanding of our country, our culture, and its founding principles," the group says, noting that their list is not exhaustive.
For those with local ties, Virginia boasts four of the list's top schools. The Jerry Falwell-founded Liberty University in Lynchburg makes the grade, as does Regent University of Virginia Beach, which was founded by Pat Robertson -- the religious broadcaster in the news most recently for saying marijuana should be legalized. (Might want to re-think that beer bong qualifier?)
Also on the list and closer to the D.C. area is Purcellville's Patrick Henry College, whose chancellor -- Michael P. Farris -- also is chairman of the Home School Legal Defense Association.
Christendom College, a Roman Catholic school in Front Royal, also is touted by the foundation.
Check out the full list below:
- Christendom College - Front Royal, Va.
- College of the Ozarks - Point Lookout, Mo.
- Franciscan University - Steubenville, Ohio
- Grove City College - Grove City, Pa.
- Harding University - Searcy, Ark.
- Hillsdale College - Hillsdale, Mich.
- The King's College - New York, N.Y.
- Liberty University - Lynchburg, Va.
- Patrick Henry College - Purcellville, Va.
- Regent University - Virginia Beach, Va.
- Saint Vincent College - Latrobe, Pa.
- Thomas Aquinas College - Santa Paula, Calif.
- Thomas More College of Liberal Arts - Merrimack, N.H.
- Wisconsin Lutheran College - Milwaukee, Wis.
Follow WTOP on Twitter.
(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)
The pope invited a teen with Down Syndrome up to his car for a spin.
Don't look for the movie about Jodi Arias to be about her trial. (Video)
Lil Wayne: I wasn't intentionally stepping on the U.S. flag. (Video)
Meet the newest liligers - mom's a liger and dad's a lion. (Photos)