Comment
0
Tweet
0
Print
RSS Feeds

Residents of mobile home park await next move

Thursday - 11/24/2011, 2:30pm  ET

hollyacres.jpg
Homes at the park were demolished at the park after Tropical Storm Lee. (WTOP/Kathy Stewart)

Kathy Stewart, wtop.com

WASHINGTON - Residents of the Holly Acres Mobile Home Park in Prince William County can give thanks for some recent good news, although it may have come too late for some.

The county's Board of Zoning Appeals has unanimously reversed a decision that barred residents from returning to the park and rebuilding in the wake of Tropical Storm Lee in September.

However, the reversal comes after 66 units at the park were demolished last month. Following flooding from the storm, the county deemed the homes uninhabitable -- even though some only suffered minor damage. The county also said the homes were on a federally designated floodway and could not be rebuilt.

Hank Ridge, the park's owner, had appealed the county's decision to clear out the mobile home park and ban residents from returning. Ridge's attorney argued that state code should supersede county code.

Holly Acres residents now are waiting to see if the county appeals the new decision. NBC Washington reports county Board of Supervisors Chairman Corey Stewart says he'll appeal the reversal based on safety concerns.

Follow WTOP on Twitter.

(Copyright 2011 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)