Hank Silverberg, wtop.com
WOODBRIDGE, Va. - Prince William County is expected next week to sue the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
Prince William County Board Chairman Corey Stewart says the suit comes after Homeland Security turned down the county's request for records related to an illegal immigrant charged with murdering a nun.
"They outright refused to provide us the Carlos Montano report, this after they promised twice before to provide it to us," Stewart says.
The county had filed a Freedom of Information Act request trying to get details on Montano. The county also wants to know what happened to more than 3,000 illegal immigrants local police arrested and then sent to Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Stewart says the county wants to know how many of those arrested have been released and how many have been deported.
Homeland Security spokeswoman Cori Bassett says the Montano report is not yet finished. In a written response for this story, she says DHS has responded to the county.
"The results of the FOIA in requesting the disposition of aliens was sent to Prince William County officials on February 11 via email. The results of the FOIA on the Montano case are not yet complete."
Stewart says the response on the illegal immigrants arrested consisted of unreadable statistics.
Montano is charged with drunken driving in a crash that killed Benedictine nun Denise Mosier last August. He has had at least two previous driving under the influence convictions and had been awaiting a deportation proceeding at the time of the accident.
(Copyright 2011 by WTOP. All rights reserved.)