WASHINGTON - A Loudoun County teen is in the hospital after overdosing on synthetic marijuana which is often found in gas station type convenience stores. The 15-year-old was taken to Inova Loudoun Hospital in critical condition but is now listed as stable.
Dr. Ed Puccio, the medical director of the hospital's emergency department says these cases of young people overdosing on this drug can be common in Loudoun.
"There could be several cases in a week and sometimes there maybe be several weeks without a case," he says.
The sale of synthetic marijuana known as spice or K2 has been banned in the District, Maryland and Virginia. State Sen. Mark Herring introduced the legislation banning synthetic pot in Virginia but it can be challenging.
"There are people who are burying the chemical compound slightly in order to evade the drug laws," he says.