WASHINGTON - Police suspect the man who fondled a woman Thursday in Springfield, Va. is the same man who has groped seven others in the area.
The 23-year-old woman told authorities she was standing at a bus stop in the 7200 block of Commerce Street when a man came up from behind and groped her. She screamed and he fled, the victim said.
Fairfax County police officers have canvassed the area, going door-to-door and called canine units in to get a scent, says Lucy Caldwell of Fairfax County Police.
She described the man as a thin, Hispanic man with a short beard. Officials say this fits the same description as similar assaults in the area:
- Oct. 25: A woman is grabbed from behind while walking on Lake Pleasant Drive near Edinburgh Drive
- Oct. 2: A 15-year-old girl is fondled while walking on Hibbling Road near Exmore Street
- Sept. 27: A 17-year-old girl is grabbed from behind
- Sept. 19: 40-year-old woman is fondled on Hibbling Avenue
- Sept. 18: A 16-year-old girl is grabbed on the path along Metropolitan Center Drive near Lee High School
- Sept. 9: A 25-year-old woman is groped on Cumberland Drive near Dinwiddie Street.
- Sept. 7: A 26-year-old woman is fondled after hearing a man whistle at her while she was walking in the area of Old Keene Mill Road.
The police have leads in the case, but have made no arrests, Caldwell says. Extra patrols will be in areas where previous assaults have occurred, she confirms.
Anyone with information should call Crime Solvers at 1-866-411-8477, e-mail www.fairfaxcrimesolvers.org, text "TIP187" plus your message to 274637 or call Fairfax County Police at 703-691-2131.