The TV station secretly staked out the national park, located between the Pentagon and the GW Parkway, near the Columbia Island marina. They found men continuously driving around the parking lot and going in and out of a public restroom.
Asked about the illicit activity and the lack of enforcement, a U.S. Park Police spokesman would only say that “it goes on everywhere… it’s a problem everywhere.”
LBJ Memorial Grove isn’t the only cruising spot in Arlington where men are looking for casual sexual encounters. As reported last summer, the third-floor bathroom at the Pentagon City Macy’s and the bathroom at Arlington Public Library are mentioned on cruising websites.
Other public cruising spots mentioned online include:
- Ballston Common Mall (third floor bathroom)
- Bluemont Park (tennis pavilion bathroom)
- Chain Bridge (woods near parking lot)
- Rosslyn Metro Mall (second floor bathroom near food court)
- Marymount University (basement bathroom in library)
- Thomas Jefferson Middle School (jogging trail, at night)