WASHINGTON - When it comes to warding off the flu, you can never have enough tips - especially with an epidemic on our hands.
Prevention Magazine says starting your morning with one of these 10 drinks may help.
- Hot water with lemon and ginger: Grate a teaspoon of fresh ginger into
8-12 ounces of water and add juice from one or two lemon slices. The drink has
immunity-boosting compounds and vitamin C.
- Chai: This is a traditional Indian tea that includes cinnamon, pepper,
clove, ginger and other spices. It's an energizer and can reduce inflammation.
- Smoothie: According to Prevention, low-sugar fruits blended together
can be a great medicine. Adding chia seeds to your smoothies can also boost the
drink's health benefits.
- Super C: Adding vitamin C powder to any drink, particularly smoothies,
will boost immune system benefits. Other types of vitamin C or citrus fruit
powders also contain antioxidants and nutrients.
- Matcha: This powdered form of green tea is super concentrated and helps
fight viruses and bad bacteria. It's available at health food stores.
- "Magic" mushrooms: A powdered blend of mushrooms can help increase
production of white bloods cells, which makes them more aggressive in fighting
infections. The powder can simply be mixed with hot water and is found at health
- Airborne: Fizzy drinks, such as Airborne, are packed with vitamins and
as well as ginger and echinacea.
- Green juices: It may look questionable, but green juice made from
grasses and micro-algae is great for the body. It helps make the body an
unpleasant environment for germs and other abnormal cells.
- Wine: No explanation needed, right? Don't go overboard, too much wine
hurts the liver, but studies have long shown that, in moderation, wine is healthy.
It's all those antioxidants.
- Honey: Add a little bit of this sticky, sweet goodness to your black
tea or other immune system drink. It has antioxidants. The darker, the better.
WTOP's Del Walters contributed to this report.
Follow @WTOP on Twitter.
(Copyright 2013 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)
Clothes have a starring role at the Cannes Film Festival. (Photos)
The Nickelodeon star's antics continue in New York City.
Star-studded event raises millions for AIDS research. (Photos)
Snooki awkwardly meets "Jersey Shore" nemesis Chris Christie.