SALEM, Va. - Emergency officials say furnaces caused a carbon monoxide leak that prompted the evacuation of an apartment complex building in Salem.
Salem Fire & EMS tells media outlets that seven people were sent to a hospital for evaluation.
The leak occurred Sunday evening at the Chestnut Manor Apartments.
Firefighters evacuated the building after tests showed carbon monoxide levels were higher than 400 parts per million.
At levels as low as 35 parts per million, carbon monoxide can cause headaches and dizziness.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
A 19-year-old decides to catch a ride on a whale shark. (Video)
A new gadget will let you know how active your dog is. (Video)
Katy Perry talks about Russell Brand and says she loves John Mayer.
Hop-heavy beers rule these rankings of the best in the U.S.