SALEM, Va. - Emergency officials say furnaces caused a carbon monoxide leak that prompted the evacuation of an apartment complex building in Salem.
Salem Fire & EMS tells media outlets that seven people were sent to a hospital for evaluation.
The leak occurred Sunday evening at the Chestnut Manor Apartments.
Firefighters evacuated the building after tests showed carbon monoxide levels were higher than 400 parts per million.
At levels as low as 35 parts per million, carbon monoxide can cause headaches and dizziness.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Not to lecture, but here's why you don't want to skimp on sleep.
James Franco wants fans to spot him half a million for a film trilogy.
The U. of Oregon is cracking down on a fan favorite.
Lil Wayne: I wasn't intentionally stepping on the U.S. flag. (Video)