Comment
0
Tweet
0
Print
RSS Feeds

Unattended frying pan cause of fatal Fort Lee fire

Tuesday - 11/20/2012, 12:34pm  ET

PETERSBURG, Va. - Fort Lee Fire Chief Tom Bahr says an unattended frying pan and cooking oil caused a fire that killed a soldier and his young daughter.

The Army on Tuesday identified the victims as 24-year-old Sgt. Corey Flowers and his 2-year-old daughter, Kourtney Flowers.

The fire was reported at 2:50 a.m. Monday in one unit of a duplex in the Madison Park subdivision on the post. Investigators determined that the fire began on the first floor in the kitchen.

Flowers' wife, Spc. Paulette Flowers, wasn't home at the time.

The fire remains under investigation.

Corey Flowers was a mortuary affairs specialist with the 54th Quartermaster Company. The Raeford, N.C., native had been stationed at Fort Lee since he joined the Army in 2006.


(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)