WASHINGTON - Power outages and storm cleanup are forcing some camps and pools to close around the region.
Outages are causing the following DPR Summer Camps and facilities to stay closed on Tuesday, July 3, according to the District Parks and Recreation website:
- Arboretum Recreation Center - REC Camp
- Benning Stoddert Recreation Center
- Chevy Chase Recreation Center (Not CCCC) - Little Explorers
- Cleveland Elementary School - Spanish Immersion Camp
- Ferebee Hope Recreation Center - DC Achieve, Camp SCORE & REC Camp
- Fort Davis Community Center - Discovery Camp & Soccer Camp
- Fort Lincoln Recreation Center - Cheerleading Camp
- Hearst Recreation Center - Soccer Camp
- Hillcrest Recreation Center - Discovery Camp, Little Explorers & Nothing But Net
- Kenilworth Recreation Center - REC Camp
- Lafayette Recreation Center - Discovery Camp & Little Explorers
- Lederer Gadens - Green Buds Camp
- Marie Reed Recreation Center - REC Camp
- Stoddert Recreation Center - Little Explorers
- Therapeutic Recreation Center - Camp Adventure & Camp Funward Bound
- Turkey Thicket Recreation Center - DC Achieve, Little Explorers & Discovery
- Tyler Elementary School - Spanish Immersion Camp
- Watkins Recreation Center - Discovery Camp, Little Explorers & Tween Camp
The following are pools that will be closed in the District on Tuesday:
- Chevy Chase Recreation Center Spray Park
- East Potomac Outdoor Pool
- Ferebee Hope Indoor Pool
- Turkey Thicket Recreation Center and Pool
Montgomery Public Schools are closed Monday and Tuesday. Check the school system website for updates.
The county Parks information line is also a helpful resource for parents to check on the status of specific camps. That number is 301-495-2595.
Part of the Capital Crescent Trail is closed. Cabin John Ice Rink is open Tuesday, with all classes, camps and pubic sessions resuming normal schedules. The Wheaton Ice Arena is closed Tuesday, but some activities will be taking place at alternate locations. Check here for info on ice arena activities, and here for info on tennis activities.
Classes are canceled at county nature centers. Rock Creek Regional Park is closed. The group picnic area and athletic field area at Cabin John Regional Park are open. Johnson's Local Park is closed.
The Park Permit Office has been relocated to the Hillandale Office Building at 10615 New Hampshire Avenue, and will open on Tuesday at 9:30 a.m. to support current permitholders. No new reservations will be taken. Check www.ParkPermits.org or call 301-495-2525 for updates on shelters and park activity buildings.
For more information on county closures, click here.
Prince George's County
Summer Playground Programs, Summer Teen Centers and Therapeutic Recreation day camps held at public school sites are open Tuesday, with the exceptions of those at Clinton Grove, Oxon Hill Elementary School, James Duckworth, C. Elizabeth Reig and Suitland High School.
Summer Day Camps are open if the camp location has power.
For a full list of specific camp information, click here.
Langley Park and Glenn Dale community centers are closed. Langley Park Senior Activity Center is closed. The Sugar Ray Leonard Boxing Center, Tucker Road Ice Rink and the Watkins Tennis Bubble are closed. Clearwater and Watkins nature centers are also closed. Marietta and Billingsley historic sites are closed.
Watkins Regional Park will be closed through Thursday. The "Terrific Tuesday" event has been cancelled and Thursday night's concert at Watkins is postponed until August. Cosca Regional Park is closed due to downed trees and wires, but the Cosca Tennis Bubble is open.
The Hamilton and Glenn Dale pools are closed. For more information on county closings, click here.
All city recreation and camp programs will operate this week as scheduled, except that programs located at Patrick Henry, John Adams and George Washington Middle Schoo will be relocated, the city says.
Participants should be dropped off at and picked up from the original program locations, because programs will not be relocated if power is restored overnight.
For specific relocation information, go to the storm page of the city's parks department.
All Alexandria City Public Schools programs are closed this week. Other programs using school facilities have been notified of facility status, according to the city.
The Warwick Pool is closed. For more closings information, click here.
The Creature Feature Camp scheduled at Long Branch Nature Center for this week has been canceled.
The power has been restored at Barcroft Elementary, Barrett Elementary, Nottingham Elementary, Patrick Henry Elementary and Lubber Run Center. All camps scheduled at those locations will resume operations on Tuesday.
All other camps sponsored by the Department of Parks and Recreation for Tuesday will proceed on time as scheduled.