WASHINGTON - A gasoline powered generator could be a lifesaver during a prolonged power outage, but not using it properly could take your life.
The biggest problem is that the generators produce a lot of carbon monoxide.
"That carbon monoxide will build up very quickly, and it will make you very sick, very quickly, and it could kill you," says Mark Brady, a spokesman for Prince George's County Fire and Rescue.
He says the generator should never be inside your home or apartment, and shouldn't even be inside of an attached garage.
Brady says they can become a fire hazard if they aren't refueled properly.
"You must turn it off and let it cool down before you start it up again," says Brady.
He adds that you should plug appliances directly into the generator, if possible.
Follow WTOP on Twitter.
(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)