WASHINGTON -- D.C. has a new restaurant to add to its constantly-expanding list. The Partisan, a sustainably-sourced and meat-focused restaurant from Neighborhood Restaurant Group, opens Wednesday, March 12 in Penn Quarter.
The restaurant is a collaboration between Nathan Anda -- of Red Apron Butchery -- and Chef Ed Witt.
The Partisan's ties to Red Apron go beyond leadership: The 100-seat dining space is literally attached to Red Apron's newest Penn Quarter location, which opened two weeks ago.
The restaurant's menu will stay true to a "nose-to-tail" philosophy, and will serve a variety of sustainably-raised and locally-sourced meats.
Anda will offer a rotating handmade charcuterie selection on an a la carte "check a box" menu -- from dried salamis, to pates, smoked sausages and more.
The main menu will be organized by source (beef, pork, poultry and fish) and selections will be offered in different portion sizes to encourage sampling and sharing. The dessert program will be overseen by Pastry Chef Tiffany MacIsaac.
The Partisan also will place a heavy focus on its 20-seat bar. Brent Kroll, Jeff Faile and Greg Engert will run the beverage program, which includes more than 400 wines (25 of which are on draft), a beer list that gives special attention to sour ales and saisons and a cocktail program.
The Partisan bar opens at 4 p.m.; the dining room is open at 5 p.m.
Here's a peek at what's on the opening menu:
- Bolognese with housemade pasta, guanciale and heart ragout and lard toasted
- Braised Spanish octopus with tomato, oregano and fingerling potatoes;
- 120-day, dry-aged beef carpaccio;
- Corned beef belly with braised cabbage, grated pumpernickel and pickled
- Roasted pig head served with salsa verde, pickled peppers and arugula and pig
- Rotissi-fried chicken, a brined and rotisseried chicken that is deep fried
and served with honey hot sauce;
- Bollito Misto, a stew of cotechino, smoked heart, belly, pickled tongue, pork
bone marrow and tenderloin with calabrian aioli;
- Snicker's terrine with peanut butter cheesecake, peanut caramel and chocolate
- Lemon meringue pie, a meyer lemon eclair, with torched Swiss meringue and
graham cracker crumbles;
- Fried apple pie with bacon, caramel, graham crumble, candied pecans and
vanilla bean ice cream;
- And the Fernet ice cream float with ginger beer, lime zest, Fernet Branca ice
cream and ginger molasses cookies.
© 2014 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.