Comment
0
Tweet
1
Print
RSS Feeds

Accused White House shooter considering plea deal

Friday - 9/6/2013, 12:16pm  ET

Linda Kozic rests her legs on a picnic bench as she talks about getting shot at her home in Saylorsburg, Pa. on Aug. 29, 2013. Linda and her husband, Jerry Kozic planned to go out together for ice cream after the Ross Township municipal meeting a month ago. They picked up their friend and neighbor, Vinny LaGuardia, on the way to the Ross Township building. Jerry was looking to make a run for township supervisor in the fall, and the three decided they would return for LaGuardia's wife to go out for frozen treats afterward. But 20 minutes into the evening meeting, a gunman opened fire. The three were sitting in the back row when Linda said she thought the halogen lights began making a popping noise. (AP Photo/Pocono Record, David Kidwell)

JESSICA GRESKO
Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A lawyer for an Idaho man charged with trying to assassinate President Barack Obama by shooting an assault rifle at the White House says a possible plea deal is in the works.

Oscar Ramiro Ortega-Hernandez is scheduled to be tried later this month for the 2011 shooting. It didn't injure anyone but left more than five bullet marks on the executive mansion. On Friday, one of Ortega-Hernandez's lawyers told a judge in Washington that he was "extremely hopeful" about resolving the case before trial. A prosecutor assigned to the case, however, said there was still a "gulf" between the parties.

Ortega-Hernandez previously rejected a plea deal.

Prosecutors say Ortega-Hernandez told acquaintances before the shooting that Obama was the Antichrist and "the devil" and that he needed to kill him.


Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.